I’ve been following Simple Black Coffee since I first saw Craig’s ‘Your Favorite Things’ post with Joshua Millburn. I was actually the lucky winner of his gorgeous $300+ Allen Edmonds dress shoes. I enjoy seeing the strange and absolutely different things people deem their favorite.
As a minimalist myself, there isn’t much I physically own that isn’t my favorite thing. If it isn’t something I am crazy for, I simply get rid of it.
The few things I choose to own are all things that excite me and have a specific purpose to me.
It’s difficult to pinpoint that one thing I’d be determined to save from a fire. Specifically, my custom surfboard by the insanely talented Eli Mirandon, my 1947 CZ motorcycle (same as James Deans first bike), and my meticulously restored 1944 Remington Rand typewriter (I’m a sucker for love letters) would all be in the running.
But even those things I could replace. What I count as my most prized possession- my favorite thing- is not even technically mine.
It’s my mom’s 1978 Yamaha FG-340 acoustic guitar. My dad bought it for my mom brand new way back in the day and I sort of, well, ‘inherited’ it since it wasn’t getting much play anymore. I’ve since become the most accomplished musician in my family. My mom can forget ever getting it back.
The tone is deep and beautiful; the strings sing sweeter than a Beatles melody.
So that’s my favorite thing: my mom’s guitar. Oh, and the 6′x9′ world map circa 1984 also ranks up there.
Previous posts in the Favorite Things series:
- Sharpie Pen by Craig Keirstead of Simple Black Coffee
- Clothing by Joshua Millburn of The Minimalists
- TUL Pen by Kevin Lemere of Ground Up Life
- Evernote by David Damron of Life Excursion
- Nothing by Dusti Arab of Minimalist Adventures
- Chrome Shoes by Seth Werkheiser of The Bike Nerd
- Work Boots by Andrew Odom of Tiny r(E)volution
- Safety Razor by Bernie Mack of Get Off This Wheel
- iPod Touch (+4 more) by Serena of The Everyday Minimalist
- Kitchen Tools by Cheryl Breuer of Peculiar Girl
- Headlamp by Jennifer Miller
- Books by Naomi Seldin Ramirez of Simpler Living
- Bicycle by Beverly Army Williams of PoMo Golightly
- Birkenstock Sandals by Robert Wall of Untitled Minimalism
- Cup of Coffee by Matt Madeiro of Three New Leaves
- Simplenote by Rob of Simple Llama
- Messenger Bag by Sam Spurlin of The Simpler Life
- Makeup by Courtney Carver of Be More With Less