I’ve been following Simple Black Coffee since I first saw Craig’s ‘Your Favorite Things’ post with Joshua Millburn. I was actually the lucky winner of his gorgeous $300+ Allen Edmonds dress shoes. I enjoy seeing the strange and absolutely different things people deem their favorite.
As a minimalist myself, there isn’t much I physically own that isn’t my favorite thing. If it isn’t something I am crazy for, I simply get rid of it.
The few things I choose to own are all things that excite me and have a specific purpose to me.
It’s difficult to pinpoint that one thing I’d be determined to save from a fire. Specifically, my custom surfboard by the insanely talented Eli Mirandon, my 1947 CZ motorcycle (same as James Deans first bike), and my meticulously restored 1944 Remington Rand typewriter (I’m a sucker for love letters) would all be in the running.
But even those things I could replace. What I count as my most prized possession- my favorite thing- is not even technically mine.
It’s my mom’s 1978 Yamaha FG-340 acoustic guitar. My dad bought it for my mom brand new way back in the day and I sort of, well, ‘inherited’ it since it wasn’t getting much play anymore. I’ve since become the most accomplished musician in my family. My mom can forget ever getting it back. :)
The tone is deep and beautiful; the strings sing sweeter than a Beatles melody.
So that’s my favorite thing: my mom’s guitar. Oh, and the 6′x9′ world map circa 1984 also ranks up there.
Previous posts in the Favorite Things series:
- Sharpie Pen by Craig Keirstead of Simple Black Coffee
- Clothing by Joshua Millburn of The Minimalists
- TUL Pen by Kevin Lemere of Ground Up Life
- Evernote by David Damron of Life Excursion
- Nothing by Dusti Arab of Minimalist Adventures
- Chrome Shoes by Seth Werkheiser of The Bike Nerd
- Work Boots by Andrew Odom of Tiny r(E)volution
- Safety Razor by Bernie Mack of Get Off This Wheel
- iPod Touch (+4 more) by Serena of The Everyday Minimalist
- Kitchen Tools by Cheryl Breuer of Peculiar Girl
- Headlamp by Jennifer Miller
- Books by Naomi Seldin Ramirez of Simpler Living
- Bicycle by Beverly Army Williams of PoMo Golightly
- Birkenstock Sandals by Robert Wall of Untitled Minimalism
- Cup of Coffee by Matt Madeiro of Three New Leaves
- Simplenote by Rob of Simple Llama
- Messenger Bag by Sam Spurlin of The Simpler Life
- Makeup by Courtney Carver of Be More With Less