I used to have a favorite thing. Actually, quite a few of my things were favorites. Today though, while I appreciate the artwork that hangs on my walls, I’ve detached my self from most of my stuff. I take care of what I have, but I don’t care if it comes or gos, and I won’t take most of it with me the next time I move.
That said, I do have a favorite thing. It’s something I use almost everyday. If you know me, even a little bit, you won’t be surprised to know that you can find my favorite thing in my makeup drawer.
I am a simple living advocate, but I do not make my own cosmetics or choose to go au natural. I wash my hair, use deodorant and (gasp) makeup. I have made great strides in reducing the overall quantity of makeup I own. I used to have a bit of an obsession.
Today my morning makeup routine consists of a moisturizer with sunscreen, my favorite item - Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, light eye shadow, liner, blush, lipstick or gloss and mascara. Some days less, some days more. Some products all natural, some not.
While I don’t think women need make-up, I think most enjoy it. I don’t put on makeup to ski or hike. My naked face has made appearances at the grocery store and in other public places too, but I feel more refreshed and confident when I’ve taken a few minutes to polish up.
My tinted moisturizer is part of my day. It doesn’t cover my face, but evens out my skin tone. It doesn’t take a lot of space, or cost a lot of money, but it makes me smile, almost every day.
The next Favorite Things post will be from David William of Almost Bohemian.
Previous posts in the Favorite Things series:
- Sharpie Pen by Craig Keirstead of Simple Black Coffee
- Clothing by Joshua Millburn of The Minimalists
- TUL Pen by Kevin Lemere of Ground Up Life
- Evernote by David Damron of Life Excursion
- Nothing by Dusti Arab of Minimalist Adventures
- Chrome Shoes by Seth Werkheiser of The Bike Nerd
- Work Boots by Andrew Odom of Tiny r(E)volution
- Safety Razor by Bernie Mack of Get Off This Wheel
- iPod Touch (+4 more) by Serena of The Everyday Minimalist
- Kitchen Tools by Cheryl Breuer of Peculiar Girl
- Headlamp by Jennifer Miller
- Books by Naomi Seldin Ramirez of Simpler Living
- Bicycle by Beverly Army Williams of PoMo Golightly
- Birkenstock Sandals by Robert Wall of Untitled Minimalism
- Cup of Coffee by Matt Madeiro of Three New Leaves
- Simplenote by Rob of Simple Llama
- Messenger Bag by Sam Spurlin of The Simpler Life